True North's Archive

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Age Before Beauty (Happy Birthday Kamzie!)

(Sweet Afro Kamz)

"Cousins are friends that will love you forever."
Constance Richards

Many of us can agree with the late, and great George Burns when he said " Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city."

 While this tends to hold true in most families, Kamzie is my exception. My curly haired, milk man's son, bestest bud and partner in crime, and co-ocupant of the kid's table...  
NYC with Kamz





(the above is my favorite picture... it pretty much sums us up)


...still competitive, even though he's somehow weiseled his way into being the "golden" grandchild/nephew/cousin. 



Kamzie and I have always been close. Kamzie liked Burger King. Kave liked McDonalds.
When Auntie Linda took me for the summer (and made me fat) when we were little, Aunt Linda let me be the "tie-breaker"... I got to choose to settle their sibling rivalry. 

Of course I chose Kamzie's favorite. Who knew there was even a difference?



Kamzie has officially banned me from fishin' with the cousins.
This rule stemmed from my Mother Theresa (wannabe) Mom who told me fishing was cruel and the poor fishies could feel the hook.
So my mom conned me into kicking the fish bucket back into the St. Lawrence (Free Willy) after Kamz caught some fish... 
Sadly, and traumatically, I was banned ever since.



There's always something to laugh about when we are together.. like awkward "grown-up" talks with Uncle Mike or certain Aunts that opt for clothing-optional. 


We were side-kicks from day one. From dropped paint on Aunt Diane's new carpet to baby powder fights at my parents' house (my mom said she spent hours on bended knee cleaning the cracks of the hardwood floors with a q-tip!) we always managed to cause havoc. 


You see, Kamzie is  like a bra to me... close to the heart and there for support.



 "Count your life by smiles, not tears. Count your age by friends, not years."

... see, then, cousin, you are very young...... (hahahaha).


All kidding aside, you're living the dream, man. 




My birthday text to Kamzie: You're sooo old. 26!!!
Kamzie's response: I'm just getting started, as far as I'm concerned!
well played, Kamz. I like your style.



Here's you, Cuz. 

May your joys be as deep as the ocean,

 your sorrows as light as its foam.

                                              (surfing reference... God, I am so creative)



My wish for you, on your Twenty-sixth birthday is that misfortune follow you the rest of your life, but never catches up








There's a shot of Jameson with your name on it, sitting on the ledge of  a bar in Charleston, SC.

(and a hurricane coming so the surfing will be legit)

Don't make me drink it alone...

 I miss you more than you know, Kamzie. Love you foreverrr and everrr and everrrr.

Happy Birthday!!! 

  - به سلامتی

(Ps. this means "cheers" in farsi... just an FYI from your YOUNGER, more beautiful cousin--


....age comes before beauty!)