True North's Archive

Monday, July 11, 2011

Always Faithful




Jeff with Willy




     Latin for "always      faithful," Semper Fidelis became the Marine Corps motto in 1883.



 "...He is loyalty itself. He has taught me the meaning of devotion. With him, I know a secret comfort and a private peace. He has brought me understanding where before I was ignorant. His head on my knee can heal my human hurts. His presence by my side is protection against my fears of dark and unknown things. He has promised to wait for me... whenever... wherever - in case I need him. And I expect I will - as I always have. He is just my dog." - Gene Hill   
 
Walking Wanka man

  The Newfoundland dog breed was portrayed in the story Peter Pan  as a guardian of the children, Wendy, Michael and John.  The docile, caring, even tempered cartoon dog “Nana” has a reputation that precedes these dogs in real life. My boys are just the same.


My Mom always used to say when I would complain that Jordy was their 'golden boy' (and don't even say he is not!) that she loves all her children just the same. It's just that there are different relationships that are formed- we all differ in personality, therefore we all bonded with our parents differently. This also holds true for Willyman and Chowchow.
(for more on Willy and Chow: My Boys)


Will is the "man of the house" and my first Newf. Chaucey is the baby and the cuddler.. Will is passive and would rather walk the fence then play with other dogs. He keeps and eye out and sleep next to the door or at the foot of my stairs until I awake. Chacey sleeps in bed (and spoons) with me. Chaucer will barrell into any dog getting attention (he's still a baby) whereas Will dodges attention-- unless it's from me.
Will (Left) and Chaucer Charles (Right) ONTOP of my new flowers I planted


There is something, too, about Willyman that is very unique. His connectedness with Jeff. We adopted Will specifically to help with Jeff's PTSD as this breed is known for being therapeutic (PTSD Pups).





There are a few veteran agency's that are devoted to dogs lending a paw and I thought it would really help. Immediatly Will bonded to Jeff in a care-taker sort of way. He fell ill when Jeff did, would lay by his feet until he got up, put his head on Jeff's to calm him. It was very extraordinary to see.

Post-traumatic stress disorder is one of the gravest challenges facing veterans. The far too high, and rising, suicide rate among those returned from active duty in Iraq and Afghanistan is a tragic indication that vets aren’t getting enough help adjusting to life back home.

Working with the dogs gives vets living with PTSD an important emotional connection that can help them heal and readjust to civilian life. In addition, the vets know that they are working to help wounded comrades, a powerful motivation.


Jeff and Will, a month before returning to Iraq


 Time and absense have not changed Willy's bond to Jeff. In fact, July 4th weekend is what prompted me to write this post. Fireworks are a huge trigger for Veterans with PTSD. Jeff hated fireworks, therefore Willy knew them as bad and dangerous to his household. This 4th of July, on my own, the the boys, Will carried that defensive attitude with him. His barks were alarming and he was so frazzled he even accidently hurt the dog walker that I NEED (she is a SAINT). You could see the weight of the world on his shoulder, frantic to protect his "patient"- Jeff. He remained to this day, Always Faithful.

Jeff and Will's bond showed me this could be done.

"The innate intuitiveness of the dog about what a particular person needs is amazing,” says Anita Sacks, clinical assistant professor of psychiatry at New York University’s Langone Medical Center.
I saw this as so telling and such a display of an animal's capacity. How after time and heartache and loss (for us all), Will still remained "professional" and continued his job.

Funny Fact: Everytime Will hears the "Skype" call sound, he jumps up and runs to the computer. If you knew Will, you'd know it spometimes takes a gernade to get his lazy butt off the ground. But that Skype sound, he associates with Jeff in Iraq, and he runs to the computer to see if it is him.


Now it's my turn to make my devil dog into a real example and help more veterans. This has become my mission, or calling if you will.

Right after my dear friend Ryan died, Willy was right there beside me.


These two get me through
For more info on PTSD dogs, the below sites are really great.