True North's Archive

Monday, November 19, 2012

Instant Coffee





Instant Coffee (Table): Our Lazy/ Rainy Sunday Project




After Melissa’s baby shower on Sunday, Timmy and I needed a rainy day Sunday project. The other day I rearranged the living room (“leaving so much more room for activities!!” – Step Brothers ) and I realized we needed a coffee table! After framing my TOTALLY amazing new “antique” (oxymoron?) sign,  and up-cycling an antique china cabinet door into a sign (below) I new the living room make-over needed one more thing....





We had a collection of antique headboards that were just waiting to be turned into something more fabulous….!... or collect dust. 



I came across a DIY blog (http://littlebitsof.com) and saw their instructions on an up- cycled pallet into a coffee table. We used this as our inspiration and started our little project.


Building something together is really a true test of a relationship....



 It really causes you to hear each other and work together to create something beautiful.  It also causes Timmy to soft-sand faster, and for me to multitask. While we worked on project: coffee table, I was also making all of us comfort food for this rainy, lazy Sunday…. Homemade chicken noodle soup!

First, the sanding of the legs (I have a collection from ReStore), the "trim" and the headboard. 


Timmy is the BEST at cutting wood—and in super straight lines. I don’t have the patience and I get very mad at the circular saw. He is the designated wood-cutter (sounds so manly.. like the Brawny Man)!

 
Yes! Matching work jackets :)  We're sooo cool. 






It's always entertaining (see pic below-- Timmy kept dropping one of the table legs!)  and a good way to have "family time" - the dogs love to "help".. especially Chaucer Charles. 







The painting of the table is my gig (obviously). I let Timmy soft-sand (his favorite) AFTER i paint and initially sand. Team Work. 




My Little Carpenter :)


How did Michelangelo do it??? 

The last stage of painting.. the undercoat.


By 10:30 pm... we had a table and soup was dished up and served!!!!  




It only took  4 1/2  fun-filled, paint-covered hours! A perfect little display piece of our total awesomeness (as our housemate, Isiah, would say). 

I consider it a perfect piece for Willy and Chaucer to knock over.  Whatever you want to call it,  it's just adorable.  A perfect up-cycled / re-purposed project. 

Before / After




... more pics to come!