True North's Archive

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A Glass Half Full






To my baby brother
(who lost this title in 2001,
 but never really changed in my eyes):

 Happy 21st birthday!


 



 


 I can already see you rolling your eyes at me, as  you read this. And there is an inevitable "really, sis?" that would follow.

But it was this, or hiring a guy in a gorilla suit to dance for you, but the guy couldn't get his work visa in time.
I promise, I won't get too mushy on ya-




This year especially, I am grateful to have you as my little brother. As adults (I use that term loosly), you are not just my brother,
but my confidant
 and friend.


First and foremost, let me begin by saying
how great it was of you to help me move.
 It was pretty cool having your little brother be your strong rock.
You even cracked some pretty awkwadly funny jokes that made a sad/difficult and fricken cold day a little better.

I'll always remember that day and how great you were to me.

You've always stood up for me/stood by (or semi-close to me) and it shows the kind of person you are,
and always have been.
Christmas 2010
 


The 3 of us.

 You made it possible to get through Christmas this year which I can never thank you enough for. I really was a wreck but you made light of the situation and made it easy to show up at the house.



By you and dad making fun of me and the awkward amount of household gifts mom purchased me that you guffawed at, I spent far more time laughing then crying. 


Plus, I need a sidekick to get through the torture of mom’s Christmas mornings (NOT fun when you are still a tiny bit drunk- as you very kindly pointed out to the whole family).




So, being that I miss having you around,
I was stalking your Facebook page (get over it—it happens) and I noticed in your abroad “studies”, you find plenty of time to travel and sightsee.

And there, smack dab in the middle of Turkey, you conveniently stumble upon a fairly enormous, obnoxious, haunting reminder of why I may still have a chip on my shoulder over your birth….




Nanice tells the story best, but INCASE you really did just HAPPEN to find the Trojan horse (even though I am certain subconsciously, you knew what you were doing posting that picture online), I will remind you of the Hobby Horse.




 I was five-ish, beautiful, pleasant, just a fantastic child. You were about a year old, awkward, cranky, colicky, and just not pleasurable to be around. Janice was babysitting for us while mom and dad were out and we were getting ready for bed. I was picking up my toys because I WAS a big girl.


The way Janice described in an email, apparently I may or may not have said: (Janice’s memory isn’t as good as it once was, Jordan—so, take the interjections lightly.)

Me: "AND I pick up my brother's toys too, because (and she sais my voice would get louder and a little shriller and sing-songy) HE'S JUST A BABY, AND HE CAN'T PICK UP HIS OWN TOYS, SO I pick up HIS toys AND my toys too."



Janice then made a comment about our hobby horses. They were wooden and very ornamental (typical mom purchase),
 which I am sure you very well remember.
I ended up having to illuminate to Nanice why my hobby horse was a little maimed and yours remained unscathed.
"Yes, Janice, mine is the one with only ONE eye. Jordan's has two eyes because "HE'S JUST A BABY and he might swallow the EYES if they're lose, so I HAVE THE HORSE WITH ONLY ONE eye."  

 But then, being super older and wiser, and naturally just sweet natured, my voice soften and I explained in a more composed fashion that I am the big sister and you, Jordy, were just a baby.



And as a big sister, we make ultimate sacrifices.
 


 I would have been okay with playing with the stupid broken one that clearly couldn’t see anymore, but you couldn’t stop at that, could you?!?




You go and find yourself an even superior, more lavish and historic Hobby Horse and post in on Facebook to rub in my face.  







 

CBA High Schooil graduation



( I can just image you're saying to yourself right now, WOW! Mac, get a life..)




Updated eyewear
    So, Jordy Pordy, fly home safely (I assume you have something snazzier to fly home on then a fine, four-fendered friend (..bang bang chitty chitty bang bang)
and we'll have a drink to you being home on American soil and legally old enough to rub elbows with your big sis.






I love you Jordy Pordy Puddin and Pie.

 I love you because you were my first baby brother, and always will be my baby brother.

You had a ginormous bum for a cute baby

I am so proud of the man you’ve turned into.
 The way you handled yourself in Egypt, especially. 
Your new found bravery came as quite a shock to me-- seems like just yesterday you were running into my room, scared asking

"Sissy, what dat noise?"
"Sissy, put your arm around me".


You were first a bother,
then a brother,
 now a friend.

I am also very proud of the way you are with Jarrett, as a big brother to our littlest. 


He looks up to you, even though he insists you're a girl!

3 LaPlante boys



 To top it all off, you're not so bad in school, either. 
There is not a thing you do that I am not proud of, Jordan.
You are on top of the world, kiddo-- a world that it is yours to take. 



May your glass, little bro, always be (more than) half full...

  ... and your hobby horse have both of eyes.




Fisher Price eyewear